"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom" Albert Einstein

"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West

Friday, September 3, 2010

Photo Friday

The blog Shorpy has interesting old photos they have enhanced in remarkable clarity.  My blogging buddy White Rabbit discovered an interesting back story to one of his favorite photos from that site. 

I am lucky to have many very old photos of generations of family and of other unknown people whose photographs I've purchased at auctions, when sadly there was no family who wanted them.

The photograph below is one of those unknown people.  There is no date or name written on the back, and no photography studio name on the front.  I display this photo in my den, which I must admit, has a masculine aura of a hunting theme , mostly pheasants.  I like to imagine that those large birds in the photo were not simply props, but that this photo was taken to celebrate the young boy's expertise in gathering game for the dinner table.

3 comments:

white rabbit said...

I would have thought all those shot birds would make a bloody, feathery mess on his jacket! Makes me wonder if it is in fact posed. Would they not have had sacks to carry the birds about so as to avoid this problem?

So many things to wonder about...

Catch Her in the Wry said...

white: Perhaps the birds are covering the mess on his jacket, and his clothing is dark perhaps hiding the blood stains. There appear to be feathers on the floor or someone just neglected to vacuum.

Red Shoes said...

That's someone's little boy... and someone didn't care enough to save the photo... how sad...

You keep his memory and Life viable... even though you don't know who it is...

~shoes~