"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom" Albert Einstein

"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The New Christmas Sweater

My husband has always liked to wear cardigan sweaters.  For a long time that was not something I wanted many people to know.  They were generally put into the same category as ugly Christmas sweaters.  Now that wearing cardigans is cool I'll let the secret out.

I had been wanting to give him a new cardigan for Christmas for several years, but only this season was I able to find an abundance of choices and finally made a purchase.  He was thrilled with the new one and even threw out two old holely ones from his closet.

I thank the hipsters for the cardigan popularity.  Adding an old cardigan from the Goodwill store as an accessory to jeans and a t-shirt can make any 20-30 year old someone look edgy.  Top it off with a soho hat and thick black rimmed glasses and you've really made a statement. Add a loosely tied tie at the neck for even more awesomeness. Who knew that dressing like old men could become popular?

Now that they've started the trend, you can get new cardigans at the mall instead of worn out ones from the thrift shops.

Someone even has a tumbler photo blog of "Men in Cardigans."

OK, so hubby doesn't look quite as cool as the guys in the photo blog, and he doesn't wear his cardigan over a t-shirt, and if he wears a tie it will be worn properly tight around the neck.  So he's not a hipster; he looks more like this:


But, hey, who doesn't love Mr. Rogers?

4 comments:

white rabbit said...

I have to confess I haven't the faintest idea who Mr Rogers is. I'm generally in favour of cardigans and am wearing one - over a T shirt - as I write. I did see a rather lovely black cashmere cardigan in the Boxing Day sales with the price reduced from completely bonkers to a hell of a lot. My inner puritan wouldn't allow me to buy it though...

And happy new year to you dear catchy!

Catch Her in the Wry said...

white: Mr. Rogers was host of a wonderful children's show. He was a kind, gentle soul who made children feel good about themselves.

Cashmere cardigans are lovely, but I won't pay that much for a sweater that my spouse will more than likely wear to work while he's tramping through cornfields and mud. And also, I'm too frugal.

joeh said...

They're IN?

Damn I just threw all mine away!

Crankky Old Man

Catch Her in the Wry said...

joeh: Welcome to my world. Thanks for stopping by. If you've been seeing some 20-30 something hipsters who have been dumpster diving behind your house, now you know why.