I respect intellectual property rights. Please respect mine. No portion may be reproduced without my written permission. Copyright 2007-12 all rights reserved. Material represents original writing, some of which has been previously published in other media.
1. Depending on your age, go back 10, 15, 20, or even more years.
2. Tell us how many years back you have traveled and why.
3. Pretend you have met yourself during that era, and tell us where you are.
4. You only have one "date" with this former self.
5. Answer these questions.
Okay, as we start, what year is it and how old are you?
1970, age 20
1. Would your younger self (YYS, from here) recognize you when you first meet?
Yes, despite the gray hair now and some wrinkles, I'm still recognizable.
2. Would YYS be surprised to discover what you are doing job wise?
Yes, I'm about as far away from teaching English as you can get.
3. What piece of fashion advice would you give YYS?
Hang on to those clothes and shoes; they'll be in style again.
1970's boots ad
4. What do you think YYS is most going to want to know?
What happened to John, Paul, George, and Ringo after they broke up?
5. How would you answer YYS's question?
You won't believe what all has happened to them in the past 40 years, and wait until you hear about The Rolling Stones.
6. What would probably be the best thing to tell YYS?
Life will just keep getting better every year, despite an occasional bump along the way.
7. What is something that you probably wouldn't tell YYS?
That she, her parents, and brother will out-live her baby brother.
8. What do you think will most surprise YYS about you?
That I have children and I'm living in the town which she swore she'd never live in again.
9. What do you think will least surprise YYS?
That politicians are still sending troops to foreign countries to fight wars that last for years.
10. At this point in your life, would YYS like to run into "you" from the future?
Yes. We are very much alike, but I just have a bit more experience and less naivete. I'm sure she would love to read my 60 years in 60 days posts to know what her future holds. She can't read them because I deleted them on the public blog, but I am expanding on them privately.