"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom" Albert Einstein

"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wacky Wednesday Wisdom

"Underwear makes me uncomfortable and besides my parts have to breathe.”   Jean Harlow

Jean Harlow didn't like to wear underwear, not unlike many of today's movie stars.  She would have given Britney Spears a run for the money when it came to raucous, outrageous behavior. She died at age 26.   Here's a  link to a brief and interesting biography of Harlow.

Just in my lifetime, women's lingerie has undergone significant changes.  As a child of the 1950's and 1960's even I had to wear garter belts or girdles to support my stockings for junior high and high school dances.


A lady never wore a dress without a slip underneath to avoid any embarrassment of the transparency of one's skirt. 


As a young girl I had a beautiful multi-layer rainbow colored ruffled petticoat that kept my skirt sticking out at 45+ degree angles and was visible at the tips when I was seated.

Panties were the basic full coverage from waist to thigh bone and, if you were a lucky girl, were embroidered with the name of each day of the week. Cotton was for girls and when you became a woman you got to wear nylon panties.

The best thing about the 1960's was women started throwing away their restraining bras and girdles, as they threw out other conventions, and in response the lingerie manufacturers began redesigning underwear for comfort. Pantyhose replaced girdles and stockings, and Lycra and microfibers replaced latex rubber.

That is, until the thong became popular.  For years women did their best to keep their big panties from creeping into a wad between their butt cheeks, then low and behold, it became fashionable to stuff the material in there to begin with and not worry about it the rest of the day. Getting your knickers in a knot became voluntary.
Apparently women are getting tired of the strap in the crack.  The latest trend now is that granny panties are coming back, due mostly in part to the popularity of the Mad Men television series.

Granny panties are certainly more comfortable and the new fabrics help deter them from working their way to the space between the cheeks. But like all clothing, it doesn't make much difference what's on the outside, it's the person on the inside that counts.

7 comments:

white rabbit said...

Do you have the expression 'whale tail' over there for where the thong protrudes over the back of hipsters?

I think I like last pic best...

Catch Her in the Wry said...

white: Yes, there are many whale tail watchers in the US. It may be a dying hobby if granny panties are coming back in style.

Going Like Sixty said...

You can't see or hear me, but I'm going Woof Woof Woof whilst waving my fist overhead.

How about that China company coming out with Lady Di lingerie.
Jealousy International.
http://lmgtfy.com

Red Shoes said...

Hmmm... that last photo is very pleasing... makes up for that one further up the blog!!

LOL

~shoes~

Catch Her in the Wry said...

Sixty: Are you really that excited that granny panties are back? I'd like to see some refrigerator repairmen in granny pants or at least in suspenders.

Red: As I said, it's what's inside that counts.

Alice said...

Trouble with granny panties is that they show when I wear my "slightly below natural waistline" slacks. Would you like me to send a picture of that to add to the mix? All I can say about the thong is "holy crapola!"

Catch Her in the Wry said...

Alice: At your age you're supposed to be wearing Mom jeans that go all the way to the waist. You rebel,you. No pics, please!!!