"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom" Albert Einstein

"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Notable Birthday Quotes

For my three good friends who have birthdays this month, for my blogger friends who also have January birthdays and for my own birthday this month (although not this day in January), here's some favorite wisdom:

1. No wise man ever wished to be younger. (Jonathan Swift)
2. Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened. (Cora Harvey Armstrong)
3. You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime. (John P. Grier)
4. To me, old age is 15 years older than I am. (Bernard M Baruch)
5. The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life. (Muhammad Ali)
6. A birthday is just the first day of another 365 day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip. (Anonymous)
7. The years between 50 and 70 are the hardest. You are always being asked to do things, and yet you are not decrepit enough to turn them down. (T.S. Eliot)
8. Age is something that doesn't matter unless you're a cheese. (Billy Burke)
9. When I passed forty I dropped pretense, 'cause men like women who got some sense. (Maya Angelou)
10. With my wife I don't get no respect. I made a toast on her birthday to 'the best woman a man ever had.' The waiter joined me. (Rodney Dangerfield)

And my favorite: It is sad to grow old, but nice to ripen. (Bridgitte Bardot)

3 comments:

Crockhead said...

Jonathan Swift is full of it. And, Bridgitte Bardot, have you seen a picture of her lately? All that sun has ripened her all right; like a raisin. I like Cora Armstrong's quote. That's me. Also, Muhammad Ali's.

Crockhead said...

This is cruel, but here is a recent photo of BB, paired with a long ago picture.
http://www.mamapop.com/mamapop/2007/10/time-is-a-bitch.html

Catch Her in the Wry said...

I've enjoyed the process of "ripening." But it really is sad when you start the transformation to compost.