"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom" Albert Einstein

"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Garage Bands

I have been wondering why kids today are not involved in "garage bands." It was quite common when I was growing up in the 1960's to see groups of junior high and high school kids putting a make-shift band together and jamming out in someone's garage or on someone's front porch (much to the chagrin of the neighbors).

Up and down the streets on weekends, one could hear the amateurish three chord songs of the Beach Boys or a bad imitation of the drum solo of Wipe Out by the Surfaris.

It appears to me that those creative times in a small town have all gone by the wayside. Everything children are involved in these days seems to be scheduled, no spontaneity, no free time to let the creative group juices flow. Or have these things just left small town America for the more urban areas' punk rock scene or do they only erupt later in college atmospheres?

I miss that cacophony of creative teen musicians jamming. In the meantime, here's a good website about 1960's garage bands.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe just where you are? I grew up in Fisher and it seemed like there were always a few teenage bands around (usually including one or more of my cousins in need of a haircut).

Catch Her in the Wry said...

Or perhaps they're just hiding out in someone's basement so they don't annoy neighbors.

Anonymous said...

You know, I hadn't realized how true this is until you mentioned it! All I hear now is the heavy, loud bass of car stereos as they go by my house all hours of the day and night.
Joke is on them. They won't have any hearing left in a few years!

Edna said...

Garage bands ... I haven't heard one of those in years. My son has recently moved his music studio from his garage to his house because of the heat here in Southern Utah. See if you like his music.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=807244