"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom" Albert Einstein

"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Coffee Break

What is all this press about Starbucks closing for 3 hours for employee training? The Internet, national and local tv and newspapers are all screaming headlines about this event. So what?

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do know accounting and marketing. It appears Starbucks just got a whole lot of very expensive media coverage at no cost. It's all most likely just a very savvy PR move. Shut off the supply and people just crave it more.

3 comments:

Going Like Sixty said...

I agree. I've never been in a Starbucks (except Barnes and Noble) but what a great gimmick.

Savvyboomer.com has an interesting spin: supposedly this was to get the perfect cuppa, and if it wasn't you could get another until satisfied.

He's going to push it and see if they really mean it.

BTW: Media also goes crazy when Krispy Kreme opens.

Jenna said...

It is pure marketing...they make so much money and are taking over everywhere...I don't really see the need for free publicity.

I suppose since their 'baristas' are now more trained we have to wait longer and pay more for their coffee (which I only get on a out-of-town coffee emergency).

Henny Penny said...

Brilliant. I heard at least 5 dfferent stories leading up to the closure, then saw a big feature on evening news that night, then the aftermath the next morning.