"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom" Albert Einstein

"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West

Monday, December 31, 2007

I have resolved to reduce.

I have become bulimic. I've been purging the past few days and hope to continue it throughout 2008.

I started with the easy stuff. You may have noticed that this week I deleted 155 posts, which represented everything I had written since July when I started this blog. Since I am not nostalgic in a wishful, yearning sort of way, I wiped away the slate of old thoughts and I'm on to the new. Let''s face it - who is really going to go back and read all those posts anyway?

I've also gone through a couple photo albums, giving some pictures to relatives and tossing out pics of childhood neighbors I haven't seen in 50 years and can barely remember their names. Also tossed are those family Christmas pictures which people that I barely knew sent me with their cards. For years I felt so guilty about throwing out any one's picture that my collection of stranger families had out-grown a drawer. So now they are in the trash along with the wilted lettuce. I did feel guilty for a while, but after I purged - well, you know how much better you feel after a good hurl.

I live in a very large old home. It's probably going to take me all year to get rid of the excess. By this time next year, hopefully the purging will be done and I may then rid myself of the house itself. I need no other resolutions this year. I'll be too busy slimming down.

2 comments:

Wenderina said...

While it never seems to end (there is always more stuff to purge!) I do love this activity. It gives such a feeling of relief and freedom. I wish I could teach my mother-in-law this feeling. She has rooms that cannot even be entered due to her pack rat behaviors. She recently cleared one room, but in so doing, I feel little was purged, and most was just relocated. Enjoy the purging. It really helps to prioritize life.

Edna said...

It looks like we have the same 2008 goal. I figure it will take me a year too but I want to have it all slimmed down by 2009 when hubby retires.

I also love the picture of your cats.
grandmahenke.com