"A dame who knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Mae West
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Thursday, October 22, 2009
A few years ago, after years of investigative journalism on 20/20, ABC's John Stossel finally saw the light and became a libertarian. More significant is that he began reporting on libertarian issues on a more Democratic leaning network. My household TV viewers wondered just how long ABC would tolerate his "Give Me a Break" series.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Thursday, October 15, 2009
It was solely because I think Ellen Page is such a great young actress (Juno in 2007), that I picked up the movie Hard Candy at the local DVD rental place a few days ago. I hadn't remembered reading anything about this film when it debuted in 2006. (Don't read the spoiler reviews on line or it will ruin the film's effects.) Apparently it fared better in Europe than the US.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Ken Burns has produced a new series about national parks.
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Sunday Stealing: The Starrlight Meme
1. What was the last thing you put in your mouth? something hard that I sucked on - some ice.
2. Where was your profile picture taken? daughter's wedding 3 years ago
3. Can you play Guitar Hero? I limit my guitar playing to Air Guitar.
4. Name someone who made you laugh today. Me. What was it about? I looked in the mirror.
5. How late did you stay up last night and why? 10:30, but I was watching infomercials and a Mr. Ed rerun before dawn.
6. If you could move somewhere else where would you and why? a newly constructed home because I'm tired of renovating, remodeling, and repairing.
7. Ever been kissed under fireworks? yes and more
8. Which of your friends lives closest to you? This is a small town. We're all close.
9. Do you believe ex's can be friends? Absolutely. I'm living proof. With benefits? Only if you haven't remarried.
10. Do you like Dr. Pepper? I prefer Dr. Oz because he has a TV show
11. When was the last time you cried really hard? Really hard as opposed to just sniveling? when the older daughter moved to the left coast
12. Who took your profile picture? some drunk at the wedding reception with a disposable camera
13. Who was the last person you took a picture of? younger daughter. She needed a head shot for an award. People who shovel shit as part of their work don't have time for professional resume pics.
14. Was yesterday better than today? yes Why? Because today I don't have to stand in any long line at the grocery store with a bunch of stupid people who can't figure out how to scan items at the self-checkout lane.
15. Can you live a day without TV? yes, if there's nothing good on.
16. Are you upset about anything now? only the stupid politicians
17. Do you think relationships are ever really worth it? Yes, if they last
18. Are you a bad influence? No, except when I'm stirring up trouble.
19. Night out or night in? Depends upon what I want to do
20. What items could you not go without during the day? My clothes.
21. Who was the last person you visited in the hospital? dying brother
22. What does the last text message in your inbox say? Hi
23. How do you feel about your life right now? It's great, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer.
24. Do you hate anyone? one person, and he knows who he is
25. If we were to look in your Facebook inbox, what would we find? an empty, desolate place
26. Say you were given a drug test right now, would you pass? Yes. I am pure - no illegal or even prescription drugs.
27. Has anyone ever called you perfect before? Me. See #26.
28. What song is stuck in your head? Mr. Ed theme song
29. Someone knocks on your window at 2 a.m., whom do you want it to be? Since my room is about 20 feet above ground, it would have to be either King Kong or the Jolly Green Giant, so I'll go with the green guy.
30. Do you (or did you) want to have grandkids before you’re 50? No, I'm way too young at heart to be a grandparent. Besides it's too late for 50 and 60 is just around the corner.
31. Tell us your Saturday night. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
32. Do you think too much or too little? I think therefore I am.
33. Do you smile a lot? Way too much. So much so that some men have taken it the wrong way.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
The 19th annual Ignoble Awards ceremony was held today. Some of the winners are:
Peace Prize: A Swiss contingent who, through experiments, determined whether it is better to be smashed over the head with a full bottle of beer or with an empty bottle.
Medicine Prize: A California man investigating a possible cause of arthritis of the fingers, by cracking the knuckles of one hand, but never the other hand, every day for more than 60 years.
Public Health Prize: A Chicagoan who invented a bra that can be converted to two face masks n case of emergency.
Economic Prize: Executives of several Icelandic banks "for demonstrating that tiny banks can be rapidly transformed into huge banks, and vice versa — and for demonstrating that similar things can be done to an entire national economy."
Kentucky has a reputation for spawning jokes about child brides and incestuous relationships, but this is no joke.
A convicted pedophile has been ordained by a church.
At least this church has openly admitted to the dirty deed, as opposed to some religions that hide their pastoral crimes.
But some Kentuckians have wisdom:
A Kentuckian saw a priest walking down the street. Noticing his collar, he stopped him and said, "Excuse me, but why are you wearing your shirt backwards?" The priest laughed, "Because, my son, I am a Father!" The Kentuckian scratched his head. "But I am a father too, and I don't wear my shirt backwards!" Again the priest laughed. "But I am a Father of thousands!" To which the Kentuckian replied, "Well then you should wear your shorts backwards!"